If you’re looking at hiring an HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) contractor in the Owen Sound area, doing a little upfront research can save you some money and help ensure that you find the right contractor for your job.
There are five steps that Ken Philp Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration recommends that you take when you’re hiring an HVAC contractor. The following sections details those steps.
Begin with referrals from family, friends or colleagues. In the Owen Sound area, you should also look for HVAC contractors that are members of the Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Institute of Canada. These contractors will have the required licenses, certifications and insurance coverage.
Once you narrow down your list of potential contractors, here are a few important questions to ask each contender:
- Will you use your own contractors or will you subcontract?
- What is your work schedule?
- Do you offer a warranty?
- Do you have workers’ compensation and liability insurance?
- Do you provide a contract?
- Will you be responsible for the necessary permits?
Ask each potential contractor for the names and contact details of customers with whom they’ve worked previously. Any professional and reputable contractor should be happy to provide references. Make sure you contact those references, and ask them about the job that the contractor did for them. Additionally, you can contact the Better Business Bureau, which will have records of any complaints filed against the contractor.
You should narrow your list to three contractors, and then ask each for a written estimate. Estimates from reputable contractors should include:
- Work that the contractor expects to perform, and the materials the contractor will be using
- Permits and licenses the contractor will attain for the work
- The contractor’s warranty on the work
- Any subcontractors that the contractor will be using
- The work schedule for the contractor and any subcontractors
Establish a method and schedule of payment
When hiring an HVAC contractor, make sure that the payment schedule is clear to both you and the contractor. Don’t forget to ask questions about any applicable energy-efficiency rebates.
Get it in writing
Ask for a written contract, which is legal and binding once you and the contractor sign it. A standard HVAC contract should essentially include the estimate and any further necessary details, including:
- Contact details for all involved parties
- Permits that the contractor will purchase
- Warranties and guarantees
- Detailed description of the work that the contractor will perform and materials to be used
- Start and completion dates
- Price and payment terms
- Clause stating that the work will adhere to all applicable provincial and municipal codes.
- Agreement on what each party is responsible for
If you live in the Owen Sound area, contact Ken Philip Plumbing, Heating, Air Conditioning & Refrigeration for an estimate on your HVAC job today. We’ve proudly served residential and commercial customers for 28 years.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about hiring an HVAC contractor and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Ken Philp Plumbing & Heating services Owen Sound, Ontario and the surrounding areas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
|Preventative Maintenance image via Shutterstock|